Friday, September 4, 2009

Field Trip to IRRI: a blow by blow account

As part of the requirement in our LIS 260 class, we were required to join the class field trip. Our main destination is the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI). The main goal of this trip is to experience how a library utilizes its Integrated Library System and also learn the various services, programs and activities of this chosen institution.

I was really excited for this trip since this will definitely be a learning experience and at the same time it is nice to at lease get a break from work and from usual day-to-day activities.

Here is a rundown on what happened the entire day:
• 5:00 am – Probably some of my classmates were already at the meeting place and some were already on their way. Unfortunately I was still lying on my bed…sleeping.
• 5:30 am – Got up from bed and immediately realize that the call time is 6:00 am. Had a quick bath, no more breakfast then off I go. My throat is really sore that morning so I needed to have a quick detour to the nearest drugstore in our area to buy some strepsils and water. I knew I will be late and was really nervous since it was clearly mentioned in class that if you are not at the meeting place by 6 am you will have to go by yourself to IRRI, and trust me I do not have any idea on how to go there.
• 6:10 am – Arrive at the meeting place, I was late but fortunately I was not the last one to arrive, which means I was safe.
• 6:20 am – 8:30 am (I think) – Travel time from Manila to Los Banos. We encountered heavy traffic along C5 road and SLEX, fortunately the endless “kwentos” that we shared during the ride was enough to divert my attention to almost 2 hours of travel time.
• 9:30 am – We arrived at IRRI and had a quick breakfast at their Cafeteria. Food was good and cheap in the pocket. There was a nice selection of meals and pastries to choose from. I ate their “pansit” and “pannacotta”, which is a custard-based dessert topped with blueberry jam. I was tempted to buy their sumptuous cake but we were in a hurry since our call time at the IRRI library is 10 am. Perhaps next-time.
• 10:00 am – We arrived at the IRRI library and was joyfully greeted by Mrs. Mila Ramos, the chief librarian. We were ushered at their conference place and the presentation/orientation about the IRRI library started. Ma’am Mila presented a short orientation of the Library, while Ms. Ems and Ms. Lea shared their knowledge on IRRI’s Integrated Library System and their various electronic resources collection.

Things that I learned:
1. The different features of the Millennium ILS.
2. The possibility of renewing a loaned book online.
3. Online recall notices of loaned library materials.
4. Use of Skype as a tool for Reference Service.
5. An example of a Document Delivery Service software (ARIEL)
6. Other titles of Open-Access Journals.

• 11:00 am – We were given a tour of the entire IRRI Library. Our class was divided in two, and our group was accompanied by Ms. Ems. In my opinion, the IRRI library was really a showcase library. Their facilities were really great and the way their arranged their furniture, library materials, and equipments was topnotch. One will definitely experience relax, quiet, and stimulating atmosphere inside the library.
• 11:30 am – Class pictures together with the IRRI staff. Special thanks to one of the staff of the library who graciously took the responsibility of acting as our photographer despite the extreme heat outside.
• 12:00 pm – We left IRRI and went to the “Kamayan sa Palaisdaan at they bay” for our well-deserved lunch.
• 12:30 pm – Eating time! Loads of “liempo” was delicious.
• 1:30 pm – We went to UP Los Banos DTRI to buy some dairy products. Their yogurt was cheap and delicious. We also took this opportunity to buy some Rambutans and Buko Pies to bring home to our respective families in Manila.
• 2:30 pm – We left Los Banos and heads back to Manila.
• 4:30 pm – We finally arrived at UP Diliman.

Learning new technologies on how library services can be greatly improved, getting the opportunity to experience hands-on was what presented in our previous class discussions such as web 2.0 applications, Information Retrieval, Integrated Library Systems, Multimedia materials, etc, and travelling along my classmates who I feel much more closer now, was really the best “pasalubong” that I received from this field trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment